02 April 2009

God Winks

One of the teens in the youth group told me about this expression she and her mom use (I think it originated in a book?) called "God Winks" - this is anytime that you know God is looking down on you, winking to remind you that He is still there.

I guess the overly dramatic cry out to God yesterday worked. Hey, Saint Therese had temper tantrums, too, okay?


God Wink #1 -Last night a friend called out of the blue. He isn't the type to ask for help, but I know he's been struggling. A lot. So, we talked for quite a while. Eventually he asked why I have been so patient with him the last few years. I told him that 1) it's what friends do and 2) a friend had been there for me unconditionally during the roughest growing pains of my life and so I needed to do the same for someone else. It felt good to give back the incredible gift of friendship I've been so blessed with.

God Wink #2 - I woke up to an email from Eric telling me about the first two days of his trip to Japan. He included all the details of the things he knew I'd love to hear about: the Cherry Blossom Festival and the food. I love how well he knows me and how much he loves me. It's great to have little reminders., especially when I miss him so much!

God Wink #3 -Today, I decided not to bring my computer into the house while babysitting my three favorite kids S, H and R. Since they are older (S = 15, H = 13, R = 9), I am there mostly to keep the house from burning down so I normally catch up on work or homework. Instead, we talked. It was so fun to laugh, tell stories, and just BE with them. It's beautiful and encouraging to see the people they are growing into.

God Wink #4 - This evening I had some tentative plans, but my mom called asking if I wanted to go grab a drink. We haven't hung out in forever, especially without it involving wedding plans. For once, I asked her how SHE was doing and what SHE has been up to lately. It was nice to listen for a change.

God Wink #5 - Eric and I have both been very diligent in budgeting the last few months. He's paying his parents for my ring/saving for a house. I'm paying of credit card debt, car accident hospital bills, and student loans. I recently received the last of the hospital bills and wasn't sure how I was going to pay for it. I've already asked for reductions, payment plans, extensions, etc. Well, today my dad opened a letter addressed to the both of us. As he read it, he started laughing. So I asked him to share the laugh with me (it did have my name on it, after all). It was from our car insurance stating they messed up the payment to me when they totaled out my car. I thought for sure I was going to OWE them money. No. They owed me MORE. My dad asked me to guess, and since he was laughing, I guessed $.47 - nope! It's more then DOUBLE my last hospital bill. PRAISE GOD!!!!!


God is still there, I know it. Even though I don't always FEEL Him, he is there, winking away at me. I just need to shut up, slow down, stop, look, and listen a little more often. Today was a good start.

1 comment:

Lisa L. said...

It is amazing how many blessings you have when you just stop to look. I know a lot of times I feel like things aren't going right or something is too hard. But if I stop and look at how I am blessed, the good always outweighs the bad!