22 April 2009

Earth Day

In honor of Earth Day I decided to blog a little about what I have been doing to go a little greener. It's not much, but after doing my Carbon Foot print for a class assignment a few months ago, I realized just how much a little here and there can do! I certainly have a long way to go, but I think a huge step is learning to think a little greener and slowly the actions will follow.

So here's my list of my green-ish life style

  • blow dry hair only half way
  • air dry all my "nice clothes"
  • combine loads for dryer (undies, t-shirts, running shorts)
  • wash clothes on cold
  • I have an Energy Star washer/dryer that only fills the tub with as much water as I fill it with clothes, and the dryer has a sensor so it only runs until the clothes are dry
  • use reusable containers for packing lunch - of food bought in bulk
  • recycle pretty much anything that can be when I am at home (our area recycles EVERYTHING)
  • use grocery tote bags
  • reuse paper or plastic bags as trash bags if I do end up with a shopping bag
  • double side print things I must print
  • recycle excess paper at work (thank you to a co-worker who manages this!)
  • email my assignments to professors
  • take MARTA downtown/to visit friends south of Perimeter Mall, make guests take MARTA from airport to me
  • drive an ultra-low emissions vehicle, and carpool as much as possible
  • walk places when I can
  • live in an EarthCraft house with circulating hot water (did you know this has been around for over 200 years, and is just now being made popular?)
  • convinced the paper goods buyer at work to switch from Styrofoam to "made with recycled materials" paper plates, despite the added cost
  • shutting off my work computer at night/on weekends
  • being REALLY good about turning off lights at home & work
  • showering in the dark
  • using window light when sufficient
  • flush selectively
  • buy locally when available at my regular grocery

Areas needing improvement:

  • reconsider eco-tourism destinations
  • fly less
  • cut to one car when married
  • bike commute (if we get a house in the area we're looking)
  • cut down fast food
  • give up gym membership
  • shorter showers/cooler water
  • less AC/less heat

No comments: