Yesterday, we decided that we're ready for the next step: to start entertaining at his apartment. We love to do it, and it's more affordable that always going out! In order to do this, Eric wanted to spruce up the place a little bit. We spent about three hours cleaning and FINALLY hanging things on the wall. Over the last two years I have had posters, art, and pictures framed for him as gifts, yet they continued to sit on the floor under where they should hang. I thought it was laziness. Turns out, he didn't know how to hang a picture. baahaaha! Of course I grabbed the tool box, mmm IKEA dorm tools (please someone get us a Home Depot giftcard for our wedding) and started finding studs and hammering away. The place looks great! Candles, framed art, shelves, etc!
Tonight we had our first guests over for dinner. Eric and I made one of our creative "clean out the pantry/fridge meals", which usually involve combining two half-dead fruits for a salad, frozen veggies, some combination of misfit shaped Tyson factory chicken and half a jar of salsa or spaghetti sauce, whichever is about to expire. Tonight we even had dessert, banana bread, with you guessed it, very old bananas!
While doing all of the aforementioned activities, I realized just how tiny the apartment is. I know people in Europe, New York or LA would go crazy for a place this size, but....
- I hit my shoulder on the towel rack when getting off the toilet
- we have 4 bikes in the living room
- the oven can't be open with a person behind it
- two people cannot cook/clean at the same time
- the dining room barely fits four people
- one person has to sit in the dining room to talk to the three in the living room (maybe we should all just sit on the bikes?)
I can't wait until it's our tiny little apartment.
1 comment:
When we first got married, we lived in a really small apartment and while maybe not as small as yours, it was pretty small. (You could sit on the bed and reach all the dresser drawers - in fact you couldn't open the bottom ones unless you lifted your feet out of the way!) But it was so fun!! Even now that our house is a little bigger, I still think I wouldn't want a big house! Small residences force you to spend more time together and allow you to get creative with doing things (like entertaining!). It makes for good memories and a good marriage! Also, it helps save money because you don't want to buy a lot of stuff- no place to put it!!
Post a Comment