16 June 2009

Diagnosis: Labyrinthitis

Ever since we got back from the cruise, I've been very dizzy, having spells of vertigo, thirsty, and been really tired. I kept thinking it was dehydration or a blood sugar imbalance (too much fun at the all you can eat cruise buffets) left over from the cruise, so I made sure to eat well and drink plenty of fluids. Alas, I was not feeling any better. And of course, I always fear the worse. I should probably stop watching House.

Last night my ear started hurting as it normally does when I feel a sinus infection coming on. That's when I had an Ah-Ha moment. All of this was probably caused by an inner ear infection. So I woke up early and went to the doctor for their walk-in hours.

Two hours and several tests later I learned:
  • my heart is fine
  • my blood pressure is fine
  • my glucose levels are fine
  • my asthma is a little inflamed (when isn't it?)
  • I don't have a sinus infection or bacteria infection
  • I have very mild dehydration
  • post cruise vertigo, also caused by:
  • Labyrinthitis
According to Wikipedia, Labyrinthitis is a balance disorder. It is an inflammatory process affecting the labyrinths that house the vestibular system (which sense changes in head position) of the inner ear.

It can be caused by a virus, stress, allergies, head injury, flying or scuba diving. She suspects mine is viral (hence the tiredness), but could be stress, allergies, or from my plane ride.

Anyway, glad that even though this thing is a little weird, it's nothing major or life changing! I was seriously fearing diabetes!!!

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Praise God you are okay!!!

Lisa L. said...

Sorry you are sick, but glad it is nothing serious. Hope you feel better soon!