11 January 2010

"We need to talk"

I just finished a huge weekend project, including painting our dining room, driving all over Atlanta to pick up our new hutch and assembling all its contents inside (photos to come!), and I sat down on the couch to catch my breath only to look at the clock and realize that I really need to get to work.

Except, the second that thought ran through my head, my stomach dropped.  I remembered that a co-worked "needs to talk to me" today.

Whenever someone says, "we need to talk" or a person of authority says, "meet me in my office" I break into cold sweats and would rather spend the next ten minutes hugging the toilet than face the impending confrontational conversation.

Why does this happen?  I have a few theories:
  1. I hate being corrected or told that I did something wrong.  I seek approval in every situation.  So when I am sat down for a talk - I instantly become defensive, judgmental and pass the blame.
  2. Fear of rejection.  Not only do I seek approval, but I want to be liked!  Don't break up with me or tell me that in any way I am doing something that you don't like.  Eeek!
  3. Need to be in control.  When faced with these situations, the control completely lies in the other person's hands and that freaks me out!  Or I am afraid that what they're going to tell me is beyond my control - like that they're moving or lost their job.
  4. Fear of the unknown.  Not knowing what to expect is a deep seeded fear for me, I'm sure I could dedicate an entire blog to that fear, but it is what it is, I guess!  

And the real kicker is....




...it's usually no big deal!


One time I got called to my bosses office - I thought I was losing my job - turns out he was honoring me by sending me to a ticketed event for the parish staff brainiac!  One time in 5th grade I got called to the principal's office at the end of the school-wide announcements - turns out my mom was getting a job offer and I had to take more paper work to her!

So with that thought, it's time to go to the office and face my fears (though I might go armed with a few Tums!)

1 comment:

Meghan said...

so what's the news already????