19 March 2009

Some Yummy Food Ideas

As some of you know, the last 6 months I have been trying to slim down and tone up. The goal is not be the next Kate Moss, but to maintain a healthy lifestyle since so many food/diet/exercise related diseases run in my family (we're nearing 10 relatives with heart disease, my grandma has celiac disease, and my grandfather just died of diabetes). While I haven't seen the pounds melting off, I have dropped almost a pants size and all of my shirts fit so much better! I am slowly gaining something resembling a waist line again :) Most importantly I feel really good. Several friends have commented on my energy levels and my renewed enthusiasm. I was able to go off the anti-depressants I was one for almost two years, and my PMDD is slowing transitioning into regular PMS. Those last few things mean so much more to me than the number on the scale!

During this process I've careful to learn about the nutritional values of foods, where the priorities should be in buying organic, how to balance a meal to maximize fullness, and most especially how to read my body (do i need protein, water, carbs, etc). By no means do I have it all down, and I certainly feel like such a beginner compared to some of my friends.

Anyway here are just a few of my new favorites:

Workout Recovery Drink:

Chocolate Milk!

  • 8oz skim or 1%
  • a serving of Calcium Hershey's Chocalate Syrup

Breakfast:

Breakfast Sandwich:
  • 1 Morningstar Farms Sausage Pattie
  • 1 organic/cagefree egg
  • a slice of cheese
  • a Thomas's Multi-grain light English muffin

I alternate 1 real egg with 1.5 servings of Egg Beaters to help keep my weekly cholesteral intake a little lower.

Snack:
Mini-Parfait:
  • Fat-free or Sugar-free pudding cup
  • handful of fresh berries

Other snack foods:
  • banana
  • dry roasted almonds
  • apple slices & reduced fat peanut butter (eventually i'm going to make my own)
  • Breakstones Live Active cottage cheese (high fiber & protien!)
  • mandarin oranges, drained
  • Babybell Light
  • Stacey's Pita chips (great with Babybell!)

Lunch:

I hate lunch. This is where I usually just buy Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones (yes, I am killing the environment).

Dinner:

I try to include each of the following:
  • steamed fresh veggies (seasonal) or frozen veggies
  • fresh fruit (seasonal)
  • lean meat: white meat chicken or boneless pork
  • a dinner roll or slice of bread - switched butter for homemade jam

Not only am I (we? Eric included) trying to eat heathier, but also cut costs and reduce wastes. It seems like I can always pair 2 of the 3 up, but I am still struggling to do all three and do them well. Here are a few tips that help me stay in my budget, watch my waistline, and save a few plastic trees:

  • we buy 30 lbs of chicken breasts in a huge bag AT the Tyson plant (that might be the only ALL THREE on my list)
  • buy only the fresh fruit and veggies I KNOW I will have time to eat
  • stock up on frozen items when they are on sale
  • buy bulk items of snack foods
  • dont' buy ice cream or cookies (haha i eat too many!)
Upon arriving home from the grocery, I take a few extra minutes to measure and store all the bulk snacks into individual servings (reusable, recyclable plastic containers). This makes packing lunches SO much easier - they're already to go!

Our goals:
  • Cook bulk meals - freeze for the next week, or eat for lunch the next day
  • Coupons
  • making more things from scratch
  • finding meals to cook in fewer pots (reduce waste in washing)

It's been so encouraging reading Ashley, Jenn, Eileen, Cassi and Lisa's blogs - I've been learning so much from you all! Your examples have been really motivating :) And Sarah and Kat - I'm glad we're in this together! I've loved talking to you about your journey's too :)

1 comment:

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

E - This is awesome!

I love seeing how other people eat. It sounds like we have very similar food patterns (minus the bit of chicken! hehe).

I find that my sweet cravings are satisfied by hot chocolate and/or some chocolate chips. That's the only junk food I usually have in our house. (Otherwise, it's disastrous. Ha!)

Congrats on your success! It helps to marry a healthy guy. :)