01 September 2009

40 days...

When I was contemplating this post, I thought TODAY was 40 days to the wedding. Again, this is why I don't do math. It's actually 39 days. Opps, there goes my theme, right? haha.

The last few weeks I have gained a fuller, richer understanding of the Sacraments. Obviously this is because of our preparation for marriage, but it couldn't have been more well timed with other events in my faith journey.

The last several Sunday's Gospel readings have been the Bread of Life discourse, with several excellent homilies delivered by each of our clergy. Having their own way of wording the same sort of teachings has been a beautiful way to unpack such a simple, yet profound teaching of the Eucharist; unique to the Catholic faith. One of the deacons reminded us that some of the Apostles walked away when Jesus reiterated that yes, "This is my body". Another walked away and betrayed him, handing over his life. Both examples remind us that during marriage the easy thing to do is walk away; when a lot is asked of us, it's hard to stick with the one you love and seek answers, truth, and continued relationship.

Part of my job description includes preparing 180+ tenth grade students for the Sacrament of Confirmation. Confirmation is probably the most misunderstood Sacrament (I'd say Anointing of the Sick is a close second). Confirmation is, yes, a marking of our soul as a soldier for Christ, but it's also a "stirring up" of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit given to us at our Baptism. This Sacrament is a one-day/one-time reception, but it's a daily self-sacrifice to truly live it - just like marriage.

On this 40th day (eerr 39th day) left until my life is united with another's for all of our living lives, I think it is only natural to look to the example of our Prophets and Savior - let this 40 days be a time of self-sacrifice, intense prayer, and increased preparation for the reception of the Sacrament of Marriage.

Please continue to pray for Eric and I. We would not be who we are today without the prayers, love and support of our friends and family :)

I leave you with the lyrics of Matt Maher's song 40 Days (yes, it's a Lenten reflection, but I find it relevant)

40 days to wander, 40 days to die to self.
40 days to grow stronger
as faith breaks open the gates of hell.


The Jubilee is over, but grace is far from gone.
In the hearts of the faithful,
broken on the wheels of love.


In the desert of temptation
lies the storm of true conversion,
where springs of living water drown and refresh you.


And as the Jordan pours out change,
your true self is all that remains,
where springs of living water bind and break you.


40 days to remember the Paschal sacrifice.
40 days to discover
as passion calls us to new life.


The Jubilee is over but mercy is far from gone.
In the arms of the Father
as the wayward child comes home.

No comments: