07 January 2009

First Day(s) of School

I have almost been out of school college as long as I was in (one semester shy). So it's safe to say that I'm a bit "older and wiser", but yet naive still in so many ways.

My undergrad years were spend in a suburban, private, Catholic university of 6,700 undergraduates and a total student body of 10,000. Everyday I was blessed to be surrounded by beautiful architecture, green gardens, friendly faces, and clean surroundings. The student body, though diverse in morality and degrees of Catholicism, was in reality, not really diverse at all. There were probably six African- Americans, and yes, they were the starting line of the basketball team. All two Asians were in the orchestra. Most everyone came from a "normal", well off family and had attending Catholic school or a really good public school their whole life. All though seemingly a cookie cutter population as to what you'd find in Alpharetta, the University did stretch my mind to think outside the "conservative" and "orthodox" box a bit. Looking back, I had no idea how "inside" the box it still was!

Monday afternoon I set foot on a large, urban, public university's campus for the very first time. I had no clue what to expect. My first class was filled with 75 extremely diverse (race, age, religion, etc) population. When the teacher asked how many people when to church on Sunday, I was surprised to be one of 10 to raise their hands. The professor later mentioned his "partner". My second class was full of graduate students who are working professionals by day, students by night. During introductions I was wowed by stories of their work place, credentials, and family struggles. And my last class of the day was full of just as many surprises.

I think I am most overwhelmed with the size of the university and the sheer volume of people everywhere, all the time! The other issue I have comes with the urban setting. None of the buildings were really planned, so they've been added on to, around, above, within, etc. One building is half on top of a parking garage and another one exits on three different roads/levels all on one side of the building... I almost left a trail of bread crumbs today to find my way back OUT of the building where I had to get my student ID.


Okay, long story short. In no way am I criticizing GSU, I am simply overwhelmed by it's size and diversity - I have lived in my bubble for far, far too long. I am excited about the challenges and opportunities this education will provide me. And I realize how much I took my time at UD for granted... I would kill for a little green space!

No comments: