18 January 2009

Choose Life

Tonight I didn't have The EDGE and since Eric and I carpooled to Mass, I decided to stick around for the LifeTeen LifeNight. One of the alums put together the entire night. A few years ago he had done the best "Teen Take-over" night, so Mandi thought it fitting to call him in a pinch to cover the night.


I wasn't there for the first part of the night, but I did walk in to the ending when the night somehow turned into a pro-life discussion. One of the core members talked about the abortion he and his girlfriend had over 20 years ago when they were in college. He said not a day goes by that he doesn't wish he could have met his child; that he, at age 40 with two other kids, still has no idea how to raise he and his wife's 3rd child. So, really, his reason of "not having any idea how to raise a child" to have an abortion, doesn't stand up.

As I heard him talking, I had a flash back to this same Sunday a year ago. We had a pro-life speaker and I announced to the teens about the upcoming March for Life in downtown Atlanta. That night, when I returned home, there was an eerie silence. I went upstairs to my room, and started talking to a friend on Google Chat. Within a few minutes Alex and Katie came into my room. Alex asked me how I liked his girlfriend, Deirdre. That was the same way David had began the conversation where he told us he was going to propose to Paige, so I assumed this conversation was going in the same direction, although very early into their relationship. Nope. The next thing Alex asked me was how I felt about being an aunt. He explained to me that he and Deirdre were almost three months pregnant. As we started discussion his plans, he said to me, "You know...all those years of Life Teen and pro-life marches, I never understood how someone could consider an abortion, but the thought certainly crossed my mind....but we know there are other options!"

What could have been a terrible tragedy, or perhaps something my family might never have known about, has turned into the most incredible blessing. Eric said the other day he overheard my mom playing with Connor and she said to him, "And to think, a year ago we were crying about you because we were scared...and now you're the most beautiful part of our lives!"

This situation with Alex and Deirdre has certainly made me more sympathetic to women in a crisis pregnancy situation, especially teens. Not everyone is as blessed as they have been with a showering of love, support, time, and money. Every time I look a Connor and share a smile with him, I thank God for everyone who educated Alex and Deirdre on pro-life issues, and everyone who has supported them along this journey. It only reminds me to do more, not only to defend life, but to support and encourage young women who aren't as fortunate as Alex and D by donating my time, money, and listening hear to those who need it.

1 comment:

Lisa L. said...

I couldn't agree with you more!! I look at my sister's kids, all of whom are adopted from single mothers who knew they weren't able to care for the baby alone. What a blessing they are to our family and to my sister and her hubby who were unable to get pregnant! For those who are not able to raise the baby on their own, they can bless the lives of those who want children, but are unable. I just look at those beautiful kids and am so grateful that their mothers made the pro-life choice!!