30 November 2009

Blow it, Black Friday & Big Kid Purchases

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, Eric and I are blessed to have two family members (one on each side) who work(ed) for Macy's.  This allows us 20% off anything, even sales or coupons, after the purchase is charged to the card.  You still pay up front, but the 20% is taken off the credit card bill.  This way the cashier doesn't know you're an employee.

Sooo, (black) Friday.  Eric's mom and I went shopping for sport - just to see what we could see.  She gave me $100 to blow on ANYTHING I wanted - but the rule was, it couldn't be anything I would normally buy.  Holy Cow.  Four stories of Macy's and I could buy ANYTHING.

I ended up using my blow it money on a Michael Kors shirt, Coach ballet flats, and two designer scarves.  Yes, between sales, coupons and the extra 20% off, that was all under $100.  Sweeeeeet. Thank you Mom B.

With only 1 pot and 2 pans to our name, we wanted to spend some of our wedding money on a really nice pots and pans set.  Thank you black Friday at Macy's: they were 10% off, plus 15% off for cardholders, plus our 20% coupon, plus the 20% off employee discount, PLUS two free gifts.  We got nearly $1200 of Calphalon pots and pans for only $300.  Can I get a HELL YEAH!? 

But wait, there's more:  Eric's plan was to use our Christmas money from his parents for a new TV & stand, but after scouting out TVs and prices he decided we'd wait (since we don't even have cable).  While at dinner with a friend, he said he was selling his last year's model of the exact TV Eric wanted for less than half of what that TV is going for this year, and he offered us another $25 off!  So we now have a year old flat screen TV (with awesome stats to boys who care about that stuff).

There is STILL more:  Now we "needed" a TV stand, but after scouring Target, Craigslist, and IKEA, we couldn't find anything affordable that fit our needs, and that looked halfway decent.  While shopping the end-of-season sales in Highlands this weekend I found it: The TV entertainment center of Eric and I's dreams.   My heart sank as I read the tag.  No way in heck.  But then.....we saw the sign...  50% off!  For just a little more than particle board, assemble yourself IKEA furniture...we have a BEAUTIFUL six foot real wood TV stand that exceeds Eric and I's expectations for what we could afford.  Thank you wedding money!!!

I forgot to mention the hutch we bought with our Crate & Barrel gift cards and Thanksgiving Sale coupons.  Should be delivered right after we move to the new apartment.  It's got a built in wine rack.  Awesome!!!

In a matter of a short week, Eric and I bought two new pieces of real-wood furniture (no assembly required! heck yea), a TV, pots and pans, and those oh-so-necessary pink with black glitter Coach ballet flats (she paid less than Target shoes for them, okay? don't judge). 

We can't thank everyone enough for shopping with us, hauling furniture, finding coupons, and being so generous!! Eric and I are so blessed to have such giving family & friends!

No comments: