14 May 2009

Be back eventually.

The Maymester, Children's Literature class that everyone SWORE would be super easy is turning out to be the most time consuming this I've done in years. And the teacher is really upsetting me.

1) she sent out a book list two weeks ago so we could secure some 70 books from the library. on monday she gave us a different list because she changed her mind. do you know how long it takes to find 70 books at the library. TWICE?!?! Never mind that I had to go to 4 libraries in my suburb.

2) the class was supposed to meet twice a week in person and three days a week online. i made some crazy sacrifices to take this class. and well, she decided that she doesn't FEEL like coming to class, or teaching it online, so the next three weeks are independent study. we have to show up on the last day with our art portfolio of her assignments. I am paying $1000 for independent study? I don't even get an online forum to "discuss" what I'm (not) learning?

3) instead of doing a reading journal or well, anything related to reading & writing, we have an ART assignment for each day. not just a "color a picture in a similar style to X book's illustrations" No. Like stuff that is normally a two page essay answer is now "journal your thoughts in ART". WTF? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE art projects. But two forced art projects a day is beyond my ability to create/respond.

So, needless to say, I won't be blogging for a while. I will be using every creative ounce of energy for "forced fun" art projects.

Don't worry, I will be writing a letter to the dean. And I think my mom (a children's librarian) will be too.

Pray for me. haha.

1 comment:

Lisa L. said...

AHHH I am having major flashbacks to my own Childern's lit class. I have a bunch of children's books. Let me know if you are having trouble finding one - I may have it!! Good luck. I remember my roommates never understanding why my classes were "hard". I totally understand your stress and am very sympathetic!