15 September 2008

Turning Over A Few New Leaves

In addition to blogging again, I have a few new leaves turning over in my life.

The Job:
Admittedly, the job change theme song was "Bittersweet Surrender" by Big Head Todd & the Monsters...not really the verses, just the chorus. Anyway. Things were very difficult at first letting go of something I'd worked so hard to (re)build pretty much from the ground up. But, I was getting burned out/board, needing to go back to school, and ready for a new challenge. So here I am; working with 7th & 8th graders, finding they are awfully cute (yet smelly? deodorant people!). Also doing a make-over with our confirmation program. Been some bumps along the way - especially dealing with parents, who don't like change, has been a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, it's a new skill set I'm learning that will stick with me for my professional and parental futures. In summary: learning to love the challenges that God has in store for me!

School:
Finally have all the paperwork done for Georgia State....just waiting for an acceptance letter!!! Hopefully starting my MAT (master of art in teaching) with a concentration in Middle Grades Social Studies and Language Arts! YAY!!!

My Body:
The time has come. No more excuses. I gained back the 30 lbs and then some that I worked so hard to lose the summer after my sophomore year. It all happened so fast. Proves that it's a daily choice and not something that one can do once and then just let it go. Starting with my surgery last Sept (compounded by the accident in July), I started finding all sorts of excuses and reasons why I didn't have time or feel like working out.

Last week I joined Life Time Fitness - (PS I hate feeling like I'm a crowd follower, but it's SUPER awesome there!). I chose this gym for a few reasons: it's sort of between home & work, they offer dozens of classes morning noon and night, it's open 24hrs, has a pool, and the best rock wall for a non rock gym. Last week I started the routine of going to a class each day.

Today I met with the personal trainer - ya'know the first freebie one where they tell you how fat you are and then get ya'hooked in to all the other training services??? I knew all the tactics...heck, I used to use them at the gym where I used to work. So.... I don't know if fell for it is the best thing to say, but I did decide to join one of their group fitness programs. Although $$$, I think it's exactly what I need and will help me reach my fitness goals. The program includes 3 days a week of group training and 1 day a week meeting with a nutritionist. I'm excited to meet new friends and refocus the things I already know :) Until the program starts in November, the trainer I met with today said she'd help me stay accountable by reading my food/exercise logs. She said if I did well, she's reward me with a free training session every once in a while. I'm sure there is a catch, so we'll see. Anyway, that's my big new leaf!!!!!

2 comments:

Cassi said...

Good stuff Elizabeth! You have some great stuff going on in that New Life of yours :)

Eric said...

I've heard that LifeTime can really suck you in...like a casino...you go in on Monday and when you're done working out you leave and it's Thurs. at 1am. It does sound SUPER awesome though.