30 September 2008

Road Trip: Chicago & South Bend

This weekend Eric and I drove up to Chicago & South Bend to visit friends and go to the Notre Dame/Purdue game. We left Friday morning so early that we made it to Chattanooga before the sun came up! Fortunately we made it to Chicago just before their rush hour(s) became unbearable. Dennis invited us to Evening Prayer and community dinner at the seminary. It was great to see him and see how God is working through his life. He gave us a quick campus tour of Loyola before we drove down to Wrigleyville to meet Eric's college buddies, Chris and Colleen. C&C's house is a kickball's roll away from the gates of the stadium - how cool?!? We had drinks and a snack at Murphy's, the same bar we hung out at last time we visited them. I always feel like I'm on the set of "My Boys" when we visit them. I keep looking for "Crowley's" but I am afraid no such place exists. MaryBeth, one of the teens who graduated last year, was able to meet us for a few minutes too. I can't get over how genuine and selfless Chris and Colleen are - I wish they lived a little closer so we could visit with them more often.

Saturday was another early morning. We drove from Chicago over to South Bend in time to visit tailgates, tour campus, and attempt to shop at the bookstore. Beth and Matt got there early and found a fun little place to grill. After visiting some of Eric's friends, we finally hiked back to our spot to cook and chill before the game. It's always fun going to Notre Dame games - everyone is decked out in team colors: not too dressy, not too trashy :) but as Beth said...just the nicest fans of any team! It's fun to pack-in on those tiny little benches to cheer and high five with fellow fans. I enjoyed visiting with Beth and Matt! I'm looking forward to their wedding in August :)

Immediately following the game, Eric and I began the epic journey from South Bend home. What is normally a 10.5 hour drive took us almost 13. We stopped every 1.5-2 hours to switch drivers. I am amazed that we arrive home safely :) God is good! Must have been all those Hail Mary's Monsignor Reynolds was praying for us.

Pictures are up on facebook!

No comments: