I found this on one of the blogs I follow, and LOVED the idea. A few bloggers I follow have also taken a few questions and answered them in depth over the course of a week. Sorry, you'll get a few lines per question. Ready? Let's go!
20 Questions for a New Year’s Eve Reflection
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
I know this is trivial in the "meaningful" list, but paying off my car has brought our financial goals for our family into reality. We proved to ourselves we CAN, and we DID! This single event represents so much hard work, dedication, and the satisfaction of meeting a goal.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
It's a toss up of two specific days:
Coming home from a Confirmation retreat to attend the funeral of one of our teen's two parents who died in a plane crash.
The day I had to throw a babyshower, burry a former teen, celebrate my cousin's 7th birthday, and my sister's boyfriend's birthday.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
The announcement of baby Carlos, David and Paige finding out they're expecting in June 2011.
A somewhat "expected" joy was playing with the children in Nicaragua. The unexpected part was watching my husband fall in love with one of the girls, and take to her so naturally.
Babysitting Connor for a day.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Getting through four deaths in our parish in less than 2 months, while juggling two Confirmation retreats, the Confirmation Masses, my EDGE program, myself...and all the teens.
5. Pick three words to describe 2010.
Life-giving. Rewarding. Satisfying.
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2010 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Stressful. Crying. Food. hahaha
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2010 (again, without asking).
Goals. Mundane. Love. (and beer)
8. What were the best books you read this year?
- Emma (so well written, and stretched my brain to read a book with so many plots and characters. How she wrote it without a computer is beyond me!)
- The Help (after spending sometime in Jackson, MS, this was an incredible insite to understanding the culture that is still there, but also the South as a whole)
- Cookbooks
- Scripture/Catechism/Vatican II documents. Honestly, I spent some time studying them this year and it was rejuvenating.
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
- My Lord and My God (though, probably most neglected this year as well)
- My husband
- My parents
- My siblings, especially Katie
- My friends, especially meeting Rosemary, but also Amanda, Sarah, Mandi, Liz, Meghan, Megan, Dennis, and Sam (many of these are on my list of things to improve this year!)
- My program volunteers. THANK YOU!
- My friends in real life turned on-line friends: Kat and Ashley (why must we live in three states?)
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
To stay fit and to change my relationship with food. Still a work in progress.
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
To understand that time-spent does not equal love.
To have a healthier outlook on death and to be able to share that with others.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I think I took off the rose colored lenses of my Catholic faith. I wouldn't say I am disappointed in or jaded by my Church at all. I would just say that I have grown to understand it's politics and inter-workings a little better and it's been a reality check, but in a good way.
I've also taken on new ways of praying this year. I was stuck in a rut with certain forms of prayer, and this year I tackled scripture as prayer. As well as doing Advent and Lenten reflections and discussion with Eric. Both were incredible for our relationship.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
About 10 pounds. haha.
I did two races I never thought I could do and I'm incredible proud of that. It's made me realize that I CAN run if I put my mind to it. The mental strength of endurance sports has carried over into other aspects of my life and I am grateful for that. I think the accomplishment and satisfaction in the Iron Girl and Country Music Half have already motivated me to build a race schedule for 2011
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I've learned to set boundaries in my friendships. I had a rough few months early in the year with a two friends. I spent a lot of time with Fr. Exume learning how to say "no", speak my mind and to not take on so much stress in my friendships. Dennis followed up a the end of the year and reminded me that I have a lot of stressful friendships, but I can control that. So I've been working on it again.
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Professionally - Watching the middle school kids pray. Amazing. Also, the afternoon the kids are Confirmed. Such joy and peace.
At home - A good meal. Clean sheets.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Professionally - deal with parents. hands down.
At home - keeping things tidy. Putting away my shoes (seriously)
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Facebook games.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
In prayer. In good conversation.
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
I CAN do whatever I put my mind to. run a half marathon. take middle schoolers on retreat. blog regularly. pay off my car.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2010 for you.
2010 provided challenging obstacles that provided opportunities to grow, love, share and pray.
No comments:
Post a Comment