25 August 2010

Reading not Writing

I love summer. Well, minus the 105 degrees and 99.999% humidity.  Like, water dripping down your windows and it's not raining humid.  You get the point.  Still, I love summer.  It brings sunshine, pool days, a break from routine, yummy vegetables, BBQ, and vacations.

It also brings a lack of routine, little time for blogging, extended periods of time without internet, and self discovery.

While I've missed my own blogging, the internet in general, and a that bit of routine that I crave, I have spent a lot of time reading blogs.  I'm blessed with a smart phone and have kept up with reading about Ashley's Pregnancy, Natalie's Pregnancy and now baby!, Kat's love of video blogging and new job, and Meghan's Wonderful Life, and many other friends...while I'm on the go!  Eric and I also read a few Green blogs and Finance blogs, but he usually does the reading and tells me about them at dinner :)  

It's been great to take a break from hyper examining my actions with my blog writing voice constantly narrating my life as I live it (does that happen to anyone else?).  It's been great to learn some new things.  It's great to read blogs and not trashy magazines, or when I'm too lazy to read a whole book.  

I've also read a ton of books this summer.  Mostly chick-lit but a few other great works of fiction like, The Help.  I'm in the process of reading Wildwater Walking Club for my new book club.  This is my first book on Kindle for Droid X.  So far, it's pretty cool to have a book on my phone for easy reading, anytime, anywhere!

What I haven't been reading and won't be reading (or writing!) is school books.  In re-evaluating our finances and career goals, we decided that at this time our priorities are paying off debt (which is hard when paying cash for grad school) and for Eric to take some low or no cost certification programs.  A little investment in his education actually has a better rate of pay increase than a big investment and little rate of return in my field.  So, it's an obvious choice!  


The next two weeks I will be slammed with work, and writing website updates for that, but I look forward to writing here and on our "family" blog soon. PS: You should follow me on there too!


No comments: