12 November 2008

Eric's friend, Michael.

Eric got word late Sunday that one of his best childhood friends committed suicide. I don't think Eric has ever experienced anything quite like this before. I had two episodes similar to this in college, but still...does anything ever really prepare you for the sudden loss of a friend?

Although I never met Michael, many of Eric's childhood stories include him. And just two ago they went to Six Flags. At the time I had something more important to do, but now I wish I had had the chance to meet Michael. I've heard he was an incredible person and had such an impact on Eric's life. Death is a constant reminder of how precious life is. It always reminds me to reevaluate my priorities.

We leave for Charlotte this afternoon for the funeral. Eric actually asked me to go with him, normally he doesn't ask for a buddy. I'm not entirely sure how he is handling all of this. He's had some other good and bad news in the mix of all this, so I'm thinking he has not really processed it. Every time I ask how he's doing he just says, "it's so weird" and then gets quiet. Hopefully going to the funeral will help Eric a little bit.

Nothing deep or insightful. Just reporting.

No comments: