13 September 2010

Cooking, Baking, Creating...

Question:


 I go to potlucks and co-hosted showers pretty regularly.  I take time to carefully craft an entree or dessert because I love to eat and to create good food, and more importantly, to share those loves with others.  I grew up with food on both sides of my family.  It's what we do. It's who we are.  But sometimes arriving at said potluck with a homemade brownie, fresh whipped cream, drizzled in coffee liquor triffle makes people give me the, "wow you just one-upped my betty crocker brownies from a box" look.

So, I often wonder if people are intimated by those who can cook and bake.

On the one hand I feel like in a sense it's a mark of woman-hood, or as a friend calls them "mom-skills".  But at the same time, I don't find it any different than being able to knit (not me!), paint (not me!), play piano (eh, once me), or play tennis (not me!).  Do I feel left out when people sit around discussing ALTA?  No, because I don't care to play tennis (I had a unnatural fear of tearing my ACL playing), and I know I'm not good at it (yes, after a tennis camp or two, I can honestly say that).  But, tennis isn't necessarily a traditional / old-fashioned sign that you've arrived as a domestic diva.

So dear friends...how do you feel about this?  Is cooking and baking a sign of womanhood?  Is it an old-fashion sign of womanhood?  Is it an art/craft left for those who have an interest and ability?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to bake and cook! But you know that. I do think it intimidates people a lot. Or I make something others don't like or something. Such a letdown!

I really appreciate when someone brings something of value instead of something from a box.

I don't get jealous - unless I was in a hurry and unable to prepare something from scratch! But I try to make an effort.

Lisa L. said...

Don't feel bad - just as you say, everyone has different talents and interests. I can bake pretty well, but choose not to a lot. Usually because I feel like all I do is cook and wash dishes all day every day, so why make a mess that is unnecessary? I have a few standby for potlucks that are easy and still have the "not from a box factor".
I feel like everyone should know how to make basic things like pancakes, brownies, cookies, etc without a mix. They aren't difficult and it is so much cheaper to buy flour, sugar, baking powder, etc than to stock up on mixes for everything. Not to mention the health benefits. When I make pancakes, I know exactly what is in them - no xanthum gum or anything like that! So I guess I feel like as a mother and wife, I want to do what I can to have my family eat healthy and save us money. I don't really thing ok it as being a domestic diva, just not dependent on the food companies to provide ready to cook food for us!

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

Um, really late on this...but who the heck gets annoyed when someone brings good food to a party?!

Crazy people, that's who.

Just enjoy the food, people. Don't let it make you feel bad about your own contributions! :)