29 October 2009

Trick or Trick or Treat, Give me something to eat - Alice Cooper

I'm sure you're all expecting a big wedding blog post, but I still can't wrap my mind around the whole thing, so I'm struggling to write about it. Besides, I haven't seen many pictures yet, either!

Anyway, I don't normally "do" Halloween, but this year our Confirmation retreat (un)fortunately fell on Halloween weekend. I don't really care. In fact I am annoyed by this holiday so much, that when Eric and I first met, we knew we'd be together forever because our very first date was on Halloween! Needless to say, it's not my scene so I don't - and haven't - paid much attention to anything to do with the holiday for many, many years (I was always the kid with strep or an ear infection on Halloween, so maybe that has something to do with my hatred of it???).

So in preparing for the Confirmation retreat, the kids and parents kept asking me "what are you doing to do to celebrate Halloween on the retreat?" All religious arguments & personal feelings aside, I did feel bad that these kids are selflessly giving up a fun-to-them weekend. So I caved and we're having a "fall festival" bunch of games, and a costume contest.

Costumes.

Let's talk about Costumes. Since when did Halloween become a free pass to dress like a slut? And since when did Dora and Hannah costumes need to be slutty? My 12 year old cousin can't find a witch costume that isn't "naughty" - a witch costume!!!

Let's all say a little prayer that the kids come on retreat (especially after my written instruction to do so) in a modest & appropriate costume.

*end soap box rant*

1 comment:

Lisa L. said...

But I always wanted to be a slutty nurse/witch/hippie/race car driver/prisoner for halloween. Because all of us have bodies/boobs like the girl modeling the costume.