It's Tuesday. 3:01. Rebecca arrived home only 40 minutes ago. Having chosen a healthy snack, Rebecca quickly ate and settled in for her homework. In a few minutes flat she perfectly completely all of her homework, with extra drawings, colorings, and even her best handwriting. She just asked me to quiz her for her test on Thursday. It was a multiple choice, out loud practice and without evening giving her the four choices, she correctly supplied the right answers. After thanking me for the help, she cleaned up her work, sighed in frustration that the test was still two days away and she was ready, and then bee-bopped outside to play.
At first I thought I was jealous of her simple homework: a few multiplication problems, a handwriting sheet, and a practice geography quiz. But no, her work is relatively stressful to her place in life as mine is to me. So perhaps that is not it.
I do believe that I am jealous of her organization, focus, ability to plan ahead, and seeming ease at making good choices.
It's always easy for me to look at others and wish for their qualities; even third grader's. At times I even become stressed over my inability to do things. Instead of taking the time to recognize and develop the gifts I do have, I just long for ones I know I don't posses. Instead of thanking others for picking up the areas I can't perform to par, I get jealous and focus on one of their weaknesses so talk about them behind their back.
If only I can take what I see in Rebecca to heart: be prepared days in advance, create a diligent routine so I can complete my work in a timely manner and have time for fun later, make little healthy choices during the day so I feel better in the long run, ask for help, and thank those who make my day just a little bit easier.
1 comment:
You made my day yesterday by inviting me to shop and to enjoy Taco Mac. Thanks for your friendship!!
Post a Comment